Motor Mount Brackets

First thing I did was to put the engine in the car with only the left rear bracket in place. I then bolted the right rear to the block and fitted the spacer between it and the cross member.

This is the standard spacer used on these models. It is 1/2″ thick. With it in place I lowered the back of the engine to rest on the bat wing. I had earlier put the front motor mounts on the block and hung the mount brackets below them. I now lowered the block onto the front cross member.

The engine snuggled down in the front cross member nicely. However, the engine was tilted to the left side. It seemed that if I removed the rear right mount spacer the engine might come flat. I checked with the experts on the Turning Wheels Cooperator panel and was told that keeping the engine level was best. So I removed the spacer and tried some stuff. In the end I put the spacer on the left rear mount and the engine then sat level. I have been told that Studebaker used the spacer so that the shift linkage would work properly. So I won’t know if this setup is OK until I get the engine and trans in place.

With the engine in place and snugged down in the front cross member it was time to drill new holes. The 283 engine mount brackets had three holes and were situated much higher up on the cross member. When the engine slid into the front cross member it tended to go a little too far down – the rubber engine mounts distorted a bit. So I raised the engine just enough for the rubber mounts to sit up-and-down in a relaxed position. I then marked the frame for drilling the new mounting holes.

One kink was the position of the frame holes in the right mount bracket. The front cross member must have been altered to accommodate the Pontiac engine. There is a depression in the cross member under the bracket and the new mounting holes would have had to be drilled on the edge of the depression. Rather than do that I drilled two new holes in the bracket about 1/2″ to the rear of the old ones.

The only problem I faced then was getting at the upper bolt from the back through the factory hole in the frame. A bit tricky by doable.

The left mount bracket was easier using the original bracket holes. You can see the two holes for the 283 bracket. Over 1″ higher. When setting the brackets in place I positioned them so the engine mount stud fitted at about the mid point in the bracket slot.

The next thing was to put the power steering reach rod in place and check for binding. With the wheels fully to the right the rod came up against the motor mount bracket.

A little notch ground from the bracket solved that problem.

Now if I can just get my torque converter home I can set the new engine in place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *