Shocking shocks!

Front shocks out. One had no resistance either way and the other a bit only one way. Got the sense that these might be the originals that came with the car.

Often the most difficult part to remove is the upper front nuts as you need to hold the shock rod with vice grips to stop it from turning. If the nut is too corroded it is hard to get a good enough grip on the rod to remove the nuts. If that doesn’t work then a nut splitter or cutting torches are needed. Fortunately these came off relatively easily. I had sprayed them a couple of times over the last couple of weeks with penetrating oil and it seems to have helped.

The bottom screws were well lubricated with engine and leaked shock oil. They came off easily.

Lots of shocks available for this car. Many of them are performance units and the price is sky high – like $500+! I’ve opted for basic original equipment replacements from Monroe. A much more reasonable price $282 taxes in from a local parts supplier.

New front shocks in place. I’ve only wiped off the shock mounting surface. Proper cleaning and painting will happen when I tear down the front end and replace all the bushings and maybe new springs.

The service manual calls for 150 inch pounds of torque. Didn’t seem like much, but when I tried it after with a regular wrench they seemed tight enough. Still I used some blue lock-tight to be sure.

Now onto the rear shocks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *