Getting to the end

Front end up and tires in place for the initial brake adjustment.

Pulling down on the tool rotates the star wheel in the proper direction to expand the shoes out to the drum.  The right hand threads on the right side work their way out.  On the left side the left hand threads do the same thing which allows the same tool movement for both  sides.  Just make sure you don’t mix up the left and right star wheels.

Back to my plastic sheets.  A little Jig-a-loo on the sheets and …

then putting the two halves together.  Jig-a-loo is a non-residue lubricant that was suggested for the slides in our vinyl windows as it doesn’t leave oil behind to catch dust.  I find it useful from time to time in the shop.

Maybe you have already guessed what I’m up to.  Here one sandwich is under the tire.

I then lowered the car onto the plastic sheets.

Turning or moving the front wheels to set the initial alignment is much easier when the tires aren’t gripping the floor.

I have already set the king pins to the rear and out for a positive caster and a bit of camber.  Here I’m using the string method to get the front wheels going straight ahead.  I’m not going to worry about the toe in as it’s a short distance to the alignment shop.

As per the service manual you need a 1/2″ block on the front sidewall of the rear tire to allow for the narrower rear end.

Next I used a small pipe wrench to turn the tie rods until the string just touched the sidewall at the rear of the tire – the steering wheel is in the straight-ahead position.

both sides done and I’m ready to go to the alignment shop as soon as I tighten the tie rod clamps, lower the car and torque the wheel studs.

Job is pretty well complete except…. I forgot to bleed the brakes, rats!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *