Bleeding brakes and wrap up

This is my vacuum pump which I find very useful for checking vacuum advance units, distributor advance, etc.  This is the first time I have tried to use it to bleed brakes.  Seems like a good idea but for some reason I couldn’t suck the brake fluid from the master cylinder to the collection bottle – more later.

So back to using my old trusty bleeding system.  It worked fine on the rear wheels.  Bleeding the longest line first then the second longest and down to the shortest.

When it came to the front wheels it was a whole other story.  Each time I pushed fluid through the lines the lines would be full of fluid but after a short while huge bubbles would appear.  Time and time again I tried and every time it was the same.  No way there was that much air in the system.  So even though I was very careful installing the flexible brake lines and they are flange fittings at each end somehow air is getting in somewhere.  There was a small amount of brake fluid bleeding out of somewhere down the back of the backing plate.  I pulled a drum and the wheel cylinders seemed to be fine.

I loosened the brake flex hose at the frame mount then took the clip off which makes it easier to spin the flange nut off.

Before I removed the flex line from the wheel cylinder I removed the bleeder screw so I wouldn’t damage it.

New copper washers (the old one is on the left) and Leak Lock for the threads.  I  shouldn’ t need it with flange fittings but, anything to stop leaks.

While installing the flex hoses I realized where the air was leaking into the system.  The bleeder screws are quite loose in the wheel cylinder – not like the original units from Studebaker.  This stuff is replacement stock likely made off-shore and not to the original specs in all respects.

What was fooling me was that the air was coming out of the bleeder screw.  But, it wasn’t coming from the wheel cylinder but instead in past the bleeder screw threads and then out the bleeder screw.

I put some Leak Lock on the bleeder screw threads and when doing the bleed I only cracked the bleeder screw off its seat.  With all these precautions the bleed of the front brakes took no time at all.  Brakes done.  Time to take her off the stands and torque the wheels.

Awhile back I posted this shot of a rear arm rest from a ’56 Golden Hawk.  I just got it back from the upholstery shop.

Looking a whole lot nicer now. Up position.

And down position.

And installed.

Well that about wraps up my winter project on the ’54 Champion – Baby Blue.  It has been fun sharing my work with over 500 Studebaker fans daily.  I hope my project inspires some to tackle that project that has been waiting for some time.

I may start a project on our ’66 Commander next winter.  I’m not sure.  It’s a big project starting with rear fender replacement and trunk repair.  Check in next fall around October and I’ll have updates then.  Now it time to get the Studebakers back on the road for all to enjoy.

And now in the words of the song by Bob Dylan…

It’s All Over Now Baby Blue

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *