OK time to start the R1 engine

 

This is the block I plan to use to re-create JT1841.  It sat around for years and was believed to have been bored.

I’m trying to find out if the casting number is the same as that on the original JT engine.

Hard to see but it reads VCH324 – 259 made in Canada in the month of August 1963 and the 24th made.  Jim Pepper tells me that there is no reason not to use this full flow block to re-create a JT 289.

The bores were surface rusted throughout.  I used a Lisle cylinder hone to clear out the rust to see if there was any serious pitting.  I used lots of washer solvent in the process and didn’t clean any more than was necessary to check everything out.  My simple dial calipers showed that the bores were maybe .002 under 3.6″.

And so the fun begins!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *