More crank journal clean up.

A shot of what a journal looks like after taking off the wet sandpaper that has been sprayed with WD40.  I clean this off before each new sanding.

The front journal also had some water damage.

After six goes with 600 grit, and one two each of 800, 1000,2000 and one of crocus cloth virtually all of the damage is gone with only a few specs remaining.

Now the question is am I going to be in spec after all this sanding & polishing.

Before checking clearances I am going to check for a distorted block/crank.  Our local Studebaker guru Gary Payne suggested it might be a good idea since the block was really an unknown.  He has seen situations where a block was distorted enough to seize the crank when all the journal caps were in place.

Here the front and rear caps are in place and the crank turned freely. I just snugged the caps in place.

I installed the main bearing caps one at a time and checked for free rotation.  The crank was free turning with all caps in place.

Next I pulled the crank and cleaned off all the lubricant I used for the rotation test. I then carefully put the crank back in the block and put a piece of plastigage on the top of each journal. I then carefully replaced the caps and torqued them down to 90 fp.

I’m using plastigage with a range of .001 to .003.  I need to see if the clearance is between .0005 and .0025 – it certainly won’t be any less than .001.

Happy days! They all read .002 or a tad less when I removed the caps.

The plastigage residue is a bit sticky.  I didn’t want to damage the bearings so I tried a few solvents, but nothing worked.  By chance I found out the WD40 did a nice job of dissolving the residue.

Time to clean up the rod journals and do the same tests with a set of .001 service bearings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *