Working on bits and pieces

I’ve had the oil filter housing in the parts washer for awhile so it was time to get it out and finish the cleaning.  All looks fine and I checked the bypass valves to make sure they are working. I depressed each one and put compressed air through them to blast out any crud remaining.  I’ll tape off the openings and then bead blast the body ready for final paint.  I’ll go with semi-gloss or gloss black for the block.

Now for the oil pump.  Not good. Rust and a lot of wear on the gears as well as on the body.  Almost like sand got into it as some point. The top plate also shows a lot of wear.

I dug out another used oil pump and fortunately the body was in a lot better shape as was the gears, but the top plate has a lot of wear but not as deep as with the original pump.  So I’ll go with new gears and the second pump body and top plate.

I read about re-finishing top plates somewhere in my Studebaker materials so I thought I should do this here.  The old NOS TRW gear kit I have doesn’t include a new top plate which the new kits include.  How hard can it be to clean off maybe .003 eh!

A lot harder than I would have thought.  First I dug out an old piece of regular window glass and cleaned any lumps off the piece of 1/4″ steel plate I have on my bench.  The original article calls for thick glass.  I don’t have any and rather than find a piece I figure that the thin glass on the steel should do fine as a perfectly flat surface to grind the pump plate.

I started out with 600 grit. After much sanding and different grades of paper I  ended up using 80 grit to get enough metal off to clean out the wear marks. Still more to go as you can see the end of the wear marks still on the plate

It took at least 2-3 hours of sanding over a couple of days.

 

Finally cleaned up and a shiny finish after 600, 1000, 2000 and crocus cloth.  Not a mirror finish, but it should work fine.

Never again!  I’ll take the plate to a machine shop next time and have them take off enough to clear out the wear patterns.  I’ll then only have to bring it back to a mirror finish.  Some things are just not worth the effort even in a budget project.

Another tip I read about for oil pumps was to drill a 1/8″ hole in a valley of the idler gear.  The gear in the kit I have from  TRW already had the hole drilled.

Another suggestion I read about was to fill the oil pump with Vaseline to help the pump quickly pickup the oil on the first start of the engine.  I did this on my sixes and it seemed to work well.  I was going to do it on this V8, but I decided not to as I’m going to use a drill and an old distributor shaft to prime the pump and then engine right before I start it.

Since the rod journals are OK I can torque down the main bearings.  Unfortunately at this point I am stalled on the build until I get my replacement rings from Total Seal.

In the meantime I have lots of parts to wash, sandblast, prime and paint.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *