The new adapters for the Saginaw pump proved to be a bit of a problem. The bottom pressure adapter fitted the pump fine. The top return adapter would turn in only a couple of threads and then bind up. I measured the threads/inch and the old fitting was 16 and the new one looked like an 18. The supplier couldn’t provide one with the 16 threads/inch and ended up running a die over the threads to bring them in line since they were so close. I still don’t understand it all. Seems there are different thread counts and pitches which I didn’t really grasp all that well. I’m used to metric, regular machine screw and of course, pipe threads but, I guess there is more to it than that. At this stage in my life – going on for 72 – I’m not likely to need to have this information at my finger tips so I’ll just leave it to the professionals.
Now for problem #2 – You can see the top adapter has a shoulder which allows the O ring to move further inside. This worked pretty well for the lower return hose. I did have to use the original O ring from the old fitting and not the fatter one I got from the hydraulics shop.
The lower pressure adapter was a bit more of a problem as it doesn’t have a shoulder and with a small O ring, it bottomed out on the pump body before the O ring could be properly seated. For this reason I picked up two fatter O rings for the adapters when I went back about the thread issues – a small one for the return line and a bigger one for the pressure line. When I tried to use the fatter one it wouldn’t slip inside the adapter opening to rest on the seating surface. So I stretched the smaller of the fatter O rings onto the pressure adapter and tried that. It just slipped inside the pump body to seat properly on the inside flange.
I also used some Permatex aviation form-a-gasket to seal the threads and perhaps help keep everything drip free.
Here are the two lines connected to the back of the Saginaw pump. The tight 90 degree pressure fittings allow the lines to nicely miss the distributor. I certainly is fun? connecting parts from two different PS systems!
Here is the control valve with all lines connected. You can just see the pressure line with the silver soldered adapter. It made fitting the line a bit easier. To get the larger return line in place was more of a problem. In the end I removed the pitman arm and dropped the whole affair down so I could see what I was doing. Still not a piece of cake. The lines are a close fit everywhere. I had to give one of the ram hoses a bit of a bend to keep it away from the frame as the control valve moved forward and backward.
The ram pressure lines fit OK but, just.
With the control valve moved all the way back (2.25 turns from center) one of the ram pressure lines is pretty tightly bent. This must have been how the hoses fitted on the original Hawks. Since I will be using quick steering arms the control valve shouldn’t move this far back.
Another shot of the lines with the control valve all the way to the rear. The return line is just touching the steering box.
Hard to see but the return line is just about touching the engine mount when the control valve is all the way forward. Again, it shouldn’t be as much of an issue with the quick steering arms.
This then is the end of the PS install. Next I’ll fill the system with PS fluid and check for leaks. Then on startup I’ll need to check for leaks again.
In the meantime I have to switch gears. I’m getting the armrests and a rear console upholstered. I never had the correct three arm rear console for the back seat and haven’t able to find one over the years. I did come across one for a ’56 Golden Hawk which promises to look quite nice when re-upholstered and installed.
Not a pretty sight without its upholstery. Now I need to scrape, sand blast, clean and paint before the upholstery shop does its magic.